VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Provides insight into our VM or environment, to see where it's trending

What is most valuable?

• Being able to troubleshoot specific VMs
  • A high-level view for capacity planning
  • Getting insight into our VM or environment, to see where it's trending

These features enable the business itself, the directors and managers, to use it.

We also use it to get inside our Cisco UCS environment. Those are the keys. It's been pretty valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

It was pretty outdated when I started, so I upgraded it. And we've just been dipping our toes into what it can do for us. But so far it's basically been trending, getting us a forecast of where we're going, and where we need to add resources.

What needs improvement?

As far as VMware's perspective it's got everything I'd expect. One thing that is not ideal is that I actually have to buy a third-party plug-in for things like NetApp. But that's more on the NetApp and Lumidor side of things. It would be great if there was native integration with vROps, with those storage providers.

Good. I have no issues with it at all. It's been very stable in our environment.

Right now we only have a single node, we haven't scaled a ton.

I haven't been in touch with tech support. My contact at VMware is definitely knowledgeable and can help if need be, absolutely.

Just an older version. vROps wasn't heavily relied upon for trending, for capacity. But I think it will definitely be more so in the future, based on its reports, etc.

I thought it was very easy. Easy to follow instructions. Got it deployed within an hour or two. Not hard at all.

vROps is packaged with our licensing. So that made it a pretty short list. We already had it. We went with it because it's included. We didn't really do a competitive analysis.

Just the fact that it's a VMware product, and that means that product updates are going to coincide with other products. You're not going to fall behind when VMware updates a new hypervisor. Just the fact that it's in cadence with their other releases, that's a big selling point for it.

What other advice do I have?

The top criteria when selecting a vendor would likely be support and reliability. Also, that they're not just trying to sell us a product but, rather, it's something we can actually use and leverage in our day-to-day operations.

We haven't really dipped our toes into what it can do but so far I have been pretty impressed with the analytics we can get out of it. The high-level information we get out of it has been pretty valuable so far. We haven't even gotten into it, so it can do a whole lot more.

Try it out if it's in your licensing and you haven't deployed it. No reason not to.

More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
524,194 professionals have used our research since 2012.