VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Enables us to do future capacity planning and it does some preventive type maintenance without our involvement

What is most valuable?

The ability to take a look inside my environment and tell me, not only how I'm using my resources, but also to help me better plan and reallocate resources or plan for increasing the amount of the resources that I may need.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to do future capacity planning. It also has the ability to go in and do some health monitoring and some preventive type maintenance without us having to get involved with the use of the Python strip. So it actually frees up additional resources on our team with the use of the automated scripts. We don't have to do certain tasks based on certain triggers and alarms that happen inside, that it actually catches inside of vROps.

What needs improvement?

Right now, it pretty much handles itself so it's hard to say. I can't really speak to anything that I would want to change in it right now. One of my operation guys might have a different aspect take on it.

I won't give VMware a 10 out of 10 because we don't want them to stop innovating.

The only thing I would say, and it has nothing to do with the product, it has more to do with the releases. If we could get the release of the reports when we do our assessments to also coincide with the release of the next product. That might be a little something that we could do. For example, 6.5 is out with the list of canned reports. 6.6 comes out but we have to wait on the reports for that. It's minor but it would be nice to have. That would kick it up to a 9.2 out of 10.

It's solid. I love it. It's a great product. No issues. Everything from the install to the actual day-to-day operational aspects of it. It's been really good.

We have two datacenters. One in Pleasanton, California another one in Fremont, California. We had no issues with the sizing of our vROps and, in fact, we have it monitoring and doing maintenance at both our datacenters.

We really haven't had too many issues so I can't speak to the tech support piece of it.

No, we didn't have anything. We needed something to tell us how we were using our resources. We needed to make a purchase but we wanted to make sure that we made the purchase in the right way and sized the right way. We looked at some other tools, but vROps just made more sense because it's VMware and that's our infrastructure.

For us, the most important vendor criteria are availability, knowledge, as well as how solid their product is and their reputation. And make sure that they've been around for a while.

It was pretty straightforward. We downloaded the appliance, installed it, and it was really pretty painless. One thing that we did do, we consulted our VMware TAM to assist us with the initial setup, and understanding which reports we wanted to see and that type of customization.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking to size your physical hardware or you're looking to rightsize your virtual infrastructure, then definitely take a look at vROps. It's a great tool for it. One of the easiest on the market to use and it'll provide you with a lot of good information.