VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Monitoring, capacity management and the holistic view of our virtualization infrastructure were the key features for us.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring, capacity management and the whole holistic view of our virtualization infrastructure were the key features for us.

First, we were using a different virtualization platform with zero monitoring and now, we have moved over to a virtualization site with vROps, so it's pretty good; it does what it says. It has been very helpful for us in terms of the roll out of VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

It has tremendously improved the way our organization functions. As I mentioned earlier, we had zero insight previously to the whole virtual platform, however, now with vROps and the analytics that it provides, we probably have insight in to what's happening with Harperizer stack and virtual machines so it's very helpful. Capacity management was a different problem altogether, but with vROps capacity management and predictive analysis, it's pretty helpful; it's really helpful.

What needs improvement?

Frankly, the predictive DRS was one such feature that needs improvement and proactive HA was another. I think we need more integration points between the IT Center to the Service Point which I don't think is a straightforward exercise. I think they also need to focus on the IT SNMP so that the integration is more seamless.

The navigation tool reporting and the way we create reports could also improve. We're good engineers, so I don't think that should be a problem, at least not for us. We have great dashboards and the reporting structure is pretty good.

It's pretty stable. We just broke down and we're in the process of migrating to VMware and so far, it has been stable. With VMware's PSE, I think we have a good design out there to support/sustain based on the requirements.

Again, it has scaled to meet all the requirements. Definitely, with the help of VMware, it has scaled to support all the data center, including the robots.

I would probably give the technical support team an 8/10 rating.

There is room for improvement probably in terms of the support that we received per se. I think we want to ensure that our engineers have access to the best VMware engineers. We don't want the level one teams and try to do the same stuff that we know our engineers are capable of doing. I think we need more streamline in terms of acknowledging the customer's impact and ensuring that it's translated properly within VMware, so that we have the right engineer from day zero.

We have been with the vCloud Suite and the whole product family. As I mentioned, monitoring was the very key factor for us and towards the success of this project. Hence, vROps was the perfect choice with VMware to have vROps as a monitoring tool.

Previously, it was all in-house developed scripts, then SCOM, partially one of the virtual machines; but other than that no other solution, otherwise a stack.

Cooperation from the vendor is what we look for while selecting a vendor. We need to ensure that the vendor understands our agenda, our goals, and then, works hand-in-hand with us, so as to ensure we need our timelines, then we can go to the market and are up and running. We don't need to beat around the bush with VMware and they have done a pretty good job with that.

The setup was straightforward. There were certain bits which were complex partly due to the way we do things. But again, with VMware's support and guidance, I think our roll out was pretty smooth and we hit all the targets in terms of our project turning; so, it was green all the way through.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise others to have a look at vROps. It's definitely good. The analytics engine is very powerful and the management feature is pretty good. Also, if you have other portfolios like VRA, VRB, it seamlessly operates with the VMware component. I would definitely recommend it.