VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Enabled us to do more than what we could in our enterprise environment. It needs to have better dashboard capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Being able to use the automation side of it is the most valuable feature of this solution that we have found so far.

How has it helped my organization?

We're using it for our cloud solution, which we didn't have before. So, it has enabled us to do more than we could in our enterprise environment.

What needs improvement?

Right now, we're evaluating vROPS version 6., i.e, on the VSAN side, so hopefully, the solution/features that we are looking for are being offered in the future releases that were done this week.

We are looking for more features from the dashboard point of view, i.e., being able to have a little more visibility as to what's going on at the back-end. I think based on what I saw in the conference, there are dashboard capabilities being available, and a lot of the other modules are tied better together. From our point of view, that will be a better improvement.

The solution is fairly stable. I haven't seen many issues yet, but we're still in the beginning stage of utilizing it, so we have not expanded it as a global solution.

The scalability aspect is yet to be seen because as I have mentioned, we haven't scaled it to the global level yet and we're a global company.

I am really satisfied with the technical support. We were always reaching the right person and they were knowledgeable; if not they tend to get us the right person.

Due to the demand of the business, we invested in this solution.

Mainly, the most important criteria while selecting a vendor is that if the product is fitting the requirements. Of course, the budget comes in to play and the relationship with the vendors that we've had are also important factors while selecting a vendor. We've been using VMware for as far as I've been with the company, so we have a really good relationship them.

Right now, my team is involved in the upgrade process. It is in the middle, i.e., neither simple nor complex. From the process point of view of the workflows, we found it a little complex. At the same time, we don't have the expertise, so we are really dependent on VMware to do a lot of the operation, provide their expertise on the technical side of it, so that's why we find it a little complex at the moment.

VMware sent an in-house team.

We looked at other solutions namely Microsoft, IBM and then, VMware. The reason why we ended up choosing this solution as it offered us a better overall solution to what we were looking for.

What other advice do I have?

We're still learning about this solution.

You should really have a detailed definition of what you're looking for, from the requirements point of view and match that up with how/what vROPS is offering. Overall, VM Solutions are tying to your requirements better.