VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

What is most valuable?

We just starting using it in the last month. We've been able to use it to diagnose several performance problems with our environment, and being able to tie it into login site has been incredibly useful.

We've also solved several challenges that have been ongoing for the last several months, within a couple of days, after having vROps in the environment.

What needs improvement?

I don't think I have enough experience to be able to answer this question fully. Maybe some easier ways of getting some of the NSX monitoring products. It wasn't obvious how it was tied into NSX, and how it was usable at first. It took a couple days of looking at it, and configuring it, and toying with it to get it. I'd be in favor of that being a little easier.

It seems fairly stable. I'm always a little concerned about version changes and things that change when you go up or down a version. So far, it hasn't gone down, so I'd say that's pretty stable for the month it's been up. It's been great.

I see no problems with the DM itself. With that said, it's collecting a lot of diagnostics at this point and it doesn't seem to have any issues at all with latency. It seems it should be able to scale up and out if we needed to.

I haven't used it yet.

We messed that one up. We decided to ask for logins to vROps, for the last two years, and then finally our accounts team said, "Hey, you know you already have one, right?" Turns out we had them but the licensing hadn't been activated and we didn't realize it. Once we realized that, it was awesome. We already made the investment and it was some previous person's decision who is no longer at our company, so I cannot speak to that.

I knew that I wanted it because we have a full 100% virtualization and we're using SolarWinds. SolarWinds is built to monitor everything possible, and we don't need everything possible. I needed VMware monitoring. vROps was the obvious solution there. Once I realized that we already had the licensing for it, being able to install it and configure it within a few days was incredible.

Absolutely straightforward. As I said, we have a full SolarWinds environment and we're trying to move away from it. And then we finally realized we have licensing for the login site and vROps. So I went ahead and installed and configured it and got it running and rolling. Because of it being straightforward, plus the setup, we're probably going to get rid of most of our investment in SolarWinds products, which is a big bonus for our company.

What other advice do I have?

What's important when looking at vendors is

• Ease of talking to them
  • Ease of working with their sales team
  • Availability

Also their presentation of the products. Having trial versions available to be able to try it out before so you know if it's like, "Oh yeah. I want to use it more." That's the most important.

I would definitely be looking at long term solution, at a way to get better insight into your controlled environment. I don't have too much experience with the different monitoring tools but vROps has been, hands down, the best thing I've reviewed so far.