VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

It integrates extremely well with the rest of our products

What is most valuable?

It integrates extremely well with the rest of our products. It ties in with everything that we need to do. It ensures everything that we need to see.

We are solely a VMware house.

How has it helped my organization?

It's freed up a lot of our time because we don't have to manually build all of the information that it ensures. For example, with scalability, there are parts in the world which we are going to hold, and there parts of the world which we going to call and it provides you all that information. Therefore, I know exactly where I need to add X, and where I need to take away Y, etc.

What needs improvement?

Support.

Consolidate features: It's got so many features. I don't think that I want another one in there. It makes it just too hard to use if they added anything else into the solution.

It's a fairly stable product. Other than setup difficulties we've never had any issues with it when it's running its operation.

We don't really scale it at all, because we operate a public cloud. We are a cloud service provider. We have got five or six different deployments all over the world. They all operate individually, so we don't really scale one much.

It's not very good, because it's such a difficult product. I think some of their guys don't even know how use a lot of it because they have to hold a week training for us, so they must have to go through one, two, or three months worth of training just to even know how to use it.

The last technical support couldn't handle our questions any better. I never got really an answer for our last questions and raised it to our Account Manager to get one of the ACs to do it and that was two months ago. I'm still waiting on the answers to the questions.

Another guy and I pretty much set up the solution over here in North America. We have other guys in the UK who set it up there.

The install is extremely easy. The VMware products are designed pretty well to do installs. The actual configuration to ensure you show what you need to show; that's where the difficulties lie.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to implement this solution, definitely go to your training course. It's a week long, that's how difficult it is! They've got vSphere, which is VMware's core product and that's a week course. This is just a tiny section compared to that and it's also a week. It just shows you how complex the solution is. You have to do the training. You just have to.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• From my perspective as a tech guy, it's always about support. You need good support from the people that you get it from. It needs to meet all of your functionality.
  • You've got your functionality requirements. You need to make sure it meets all of those.
  • From the business side of it, price is always a thing. You have to get it signed off by the big boss, but because we are a VMware Partner, it's included in our licensing fees. We don't have to pay a penny for it.
More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.