VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Allows us to monitor our environment, to be proactive, and do preventative maintenance

What is most valuable?

It allows you to integrate all the VMware products like vCenter, vCloud Air and it also allows you to gradually look at any issues for root cause solutions in your environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a single pane of glass to be able to look into our environment and find what the problems are. It allows us to monitor our environment, to be proactive, and do preventative maintenance. Therefore we'll know if things are about to take place in our environment, which could cause problems, and we can head them off before they happen.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more of a cloud integration. Something which could work with the Cloud. In other words, a hybrid-type window pane, which you could manage both ways. Instead of having the hybrid cloud manager, have something similar for vROps.

It is stable depending what license you buy. Mainly enterprise is already integrated. There are little modules you can add to it, depending on what you're doing. There are no costs for the most part, and you can modify the environment for vROps for your infrastructure and VMware, and for your customers.

It is very scalable. You have to decide what you want to do with it first. It's scalable in the sense of what you want to show the customer, or if you want to grow your environment out. If you want to be able to scale your resources out for planning, adding to your environment, and other resources. It allows you to scale within a cloud, make it a hybrid cloud cross platform, and so on.

I haven't needed to contact them. I have enough skill set, education, and hands on with the product/solution that I can figure it out myself for the most part.

I do use Uila, which is very good. I would say it's more robust than vROps, because it's a single solution. I still use Uila. I didn't switch. I use both of them. vROps has its place, and Uila has its place.

The SLAs drive it and customer requirements require it, plus you can't keep the same technology and provide the same type of services. You have to be able to show the customer there is some value in what you're offering them.

I set up my own environment. I didn't set up the customer's.

Once you understand the layout, then it's not as complex. It seems to be, but it's not really, because there's a lot of moving parts. You need concentrate on the moving parts which would pertain to your environment.

I recommend to anyone looking to implement: Have a stable environment. If you don't have a stable environment, you still can implement it, but you're really putting yourself at a disadvantage, because you want to ensure your environment is stable. You don't want to keep concentrating on fixing something stuff. You want vROps to be able to show you, not just what's broken, but what can be scaled out and how to improve your environment. The less you have for it to do, the better it is for you.

I just downloaded it myself and installed it.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking at this solution, try it out first. Ensure you have enough resources in your environment where you can test all the resources for vROps. Resources like CPU, memory, being able to scale the VM after it's deployed application-wise to see if that's causing issues, or does it need more resources - those type of things.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Does it do what you say it does and more? If you just trying to promote your software, and it's not working, you are wasting my time.

More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.