VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Video Review:

What is most valuable?

vROps has been able to cut down our time to be able to find our problems, if we have something arise in our infrastructure. We have certainly found anomalies, and it has alerted us to those anomalies and where we can find the problems, thus getting our meantime realized solution down. We've also been able to rightsize our VMs because of vROps. It's able to tell you if you're over-provisioning VMs and reduces memory, if it's not being used, and these sorts of things, so we're rightsizing our VMs.

It also gives you predictive timelines for when you're gonna run out of capacity in your resources, so you may plan accordingly for all of your resource planning.

What needs improvement?

• Probably in the configuration of it.
  • Configuring the different types of alerts.
  • Maybe streamlining the process a little more.
  • Make it a little more user-friendly, possibly.
  • It's a little difficult to configure, maybe.

It is a stable solution. Upgrades have been smooth. We haven't had any problems there, but a little bit of time configuring it. Although, I noticed in their latest release (6.2), it's much cleaner. It seems a little easier to configure, manage, and navigate.

It's not a scale-out architecture, but definitely as much infrastructure as we throw at it, it's able to monitor it. If your infrastructure grows, or even into the Cloud, they have plugins that can monitor VMs, AWS, and Azure.

The support is VMware, and it's good support, as you'd expect.

It's fairly straightforward. There was initially, when I set it up, a version 5, and it had a little bit of different components that you had to configure and put together. I believe it's a little easier these days.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product. It's really given us a lot of insight.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: The partnerships with other vendors and integration with other products that we have, therefore their reputation in that, and their support.