VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Helps us determine our best maintenance times, when to scale things up or down

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for monitoring our VDI environment and the performance is okay.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves some of the decisions we make. Based on those usage patterns, we can determine when our best maintenance times are and when we need to scale things up or down.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature we get out of it is the actual usage of the virtual desktop:  concurrent logins, when our peaks are, when our low times are. That's our main use of vROps.

Once you find what you're looking for, it is pretty user-friendly. There is just so much information in vROps, the drilling down to find exactly what you are looking for, that's the hard part. But once you find it, it's pretty easy. You can build a dashboard based on whatever information you have found and then, from that dashboard, it's fine.

What needs improvement?

The one thing that I am always missing is training specific to Horizon. There is no training class you can go to for the Horizon add-on for vROps. I'd like to see specific training for Horizon admins, as opposed to general vSphere admins.

It seems pretty stable. We've had a few issues as we do upgrades of different products, but other than that it's fairly solid.

When we've run into an upgrade of Horizon, or something breaks the agent in the connection servers, then we'll pull in resources. The support is good. They are able to get it resolved. Typically, a problem with vROps is not considered to cause end-users to have downtime or to be a production-down type of thing, so you sometimes have trouble getting somebody right away. But they've been pretty reasonable.

Previously, we weren't doing much monitoring at all. vRealize became our monitoring solution for VDI. The usage metrics were the driving force behind purchasing vROps and setting it up and spending the time to learn it.

The initial setup was pretty easy. It's an appliance so the deployment is quite easy. The documentation is excellent.

It's very valuable for us. We've since upgraded to the Horizon Enterprise suite, so now it's included with that. It was just another reason to go to Enterprise.

We compared a couple of different tools and it really came down to the fact that VMware was giving us a good price for bundling it with our Horizon purchase, at the time. And, at the time, we were doing PCoIP and it was basically the only product that really gave us that insight.

What other advice do I have?

If you're planning to do a Horizon deployment I would definitely recommend vROps. It seems to be the best. In the past, when we were doing PCoIP exclusively, it was the only tool that gave you excellent PCoIP metrics. I assume that that is moving forward as well. For a Horizon deployment, you almost have to have vROps if you want that kind of data.

I rate the solution at eight out of 10. To get it to a 10, I would like to see some training on the Horizon-specific pieces and, somehow, they should make it easier to find those granular things that you're always looking for. You're always running into a situation where you want to use the tool to figure out a problem, but the amount of effort needed to delve into vROps and find the exact metric you're looking for is always so difficult.

More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.