VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Heat Maps, graphs, and the reporting help us centrally monitor our infrastructure

What is our primary use case?

My primary use for it is monitoring and making sure that there are no issues anywhere. You have the various content packs that keep track of all of our different products and the various things we're using within the enterprise. It's a good central point for management. The performance has been good.

How has it helped my organization?

It has definitely helped us reduce the time to troubleshoot issues.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the Heat Maps, and the various graphs and reporting features it has.

For the most part, it is intuitive and user-friendly. Sometimes you have to dig around a little bit to find stuff, but that's because of the way that they do the content, more than anything else.

What needs improvement?

The main concern would be just to make sure that there's some consistency when third-parties are building their various content packs for it. It seems like it's pretty random in terms of what you're going to get. A vendor is going to provide whatever they provide but it's really hit or miss in terms of how good the quality is. In terms of the things that are monitoring the vSsphere components etc., that's all solid, that's all pretty good.

It's stable. I haven't really had any issues with it. I think we have run into a couple of bugs but normally it seems to run okay.

We've been okay as far as the scalability goes. I'm not aware of any issues there.

Technical support is excellent.

In terms of the decision to go with vROps, It was more along the lines of, "Hey, this is out, this is available to you, it's going to improve things for you." It was a no-brainer because you don't want to do things the hard way.

How much more difficult would it have been to troubleshoot something if this solution wasn't there? It's really hard to say. It's a matter of digging into various different places, so I don't necessarily know how much there is an ROI on it. We trust this product, it seems to be a good tool that we make use of, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

I don't know that we really considered anything else in that pure category because, at that time, nothing really compared to it. Everybody had their own little management and monitoring solutions for their little bubbles. But there wasn't this all-inclusive, try to get other vendors to buy in and have one single monitoring solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, just go ahead and buy it. It's going to be leaps and bounds ahead of doing it the hard way. It puts it all in one place, gives you a little bit of capacity planning, a better idea of what your actual capacity is, versus just looking at the spot values you get right out of VMware at a given point in time. In terms of looking at a VM, you can see how much RAM it is actually using over a period of time versus whatever the user claims: "Oh it's completely out of memory." We can say, "Is it? Is it really? Let's check it out."

I rate it at nine out of 10. It would be a 10 with just a little bit more arm-twisting on the people that are supplying their little add-ins, to make sure that they're of a sufficient quality to match whatever else is in VMware. They need third-party quality control, less so the actual VMware parts.