VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

If there's a shortage of memory or CPU, it tells us how to correct the issue

What is our primary use case?

We use vRealize to monitor the health and status of our VMs, all of our hosts, and anything of that nature within our vCenter environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It's time-saving because you don't have to go out and research how to rectify that issue. It's right there on the screen, you just follow it.

The solution has also helped improve quality of service to users and provide cost savings through higher capacity utilization. For instance, if there's an issue with a VM running real slow, vRealize will tell you why it's running slow. It will actually post it on the screen with an alert.

What is most valuable?

It tells us when there's an issue with a particular VM or host. It gives us a remediation in order to fix that problem. For example, if there's a shortage of memory or a shortage of CPU, things of that nature, it tells us how to correct that issue.

You can set up your dashboard and customize it for your environment.

It's user-friendly. It's spelled out in straight, common English. Whether you have an IT background or not, it gives you a link to take you to that particular issue. It shows you how to either increase the memory or increase the CPU.

Three to five years.

We haven't had any stability issues with it yet.

We've never had to really scale out. We used a version that came with vCenter 6.5. We just upgraded from 6.0 to 6.5, and now there's another version of vRealize out there. So we're actually looking into that newer version at this point in time. But we're not nervous about it meeting our needs in five years' time.

We're a partner but we feel that they provide us the service that we would want, in general.

We did not have a previous solution. We incorporated vRealize when we deployed our vCenter environment.

Our most important criterion when selecting a vendor is to minimize downtime. As long as it works... It had to be really good for us to be a partner.

The initial setup was straightforward. We had someone from VMware helping set it up.

The ROI is that it saves us a lot of time, it helps us keep our customers up, and there is very little downtime.

What other advice do I have?

It is a biased answer since we are a partner, but VMware is, to us, the top virtualization company. On a scale of one to ten, I give it a 12 because it has never failed us.