VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Helps with capacity utilization, tells me how many VMs I can run on each host

What is our primary use case?

I use it on a daily basis to make sure that the VMs are up and running and that there aren't any issues with any of them. If there are, then it tells me exactly where to go to fix them.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives me more insight on issues like: Do we need to add more hardware to the clusters; when disks are low, to add more disk space. It's a preventive type of maintenance.

It has also immensely reduced the time to troubleshoot issues. It has improved the quality of service to users because it prevents downtime. And it lets me know how many VMs I can actually run on each individual host, which helps with cost savings through higher capacity utilization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is knowing whether or not you have issues with your hosts and VMs. There are other features where you can have it automatically adjusts things. I don't have it set to that level because I like to control things myself. That's a nice option but I'm just not at that point yet to let it control things.

It points out all kinds of issues that you might be having, whether or not your environment is actually running smoothly, too.

What needs improvement?

In terms of user-friendliness, there are a lot of areas that take a lot of time to research and figure out what the information is actually telling me, so that I know how to better use the product and troubleshoot issues that I see. It would be nice if they could fine-tune the user interface a little bit.

I haven't had any issues with stability at all. It works as expected.

I don't have a whole lot of hosts running that vROps actually monitors. I think we're up to 40 now but that's not a whole lot compared to what other people tell me what they run. It's working as expected.

I have not used technical support for vRealize Operations Manager yet. But I use it for the hosts. I need help with some of the things that Operations Manager identifies.

vROps actually came with the license package that we bought. Once I knew we owned it I just downloaded it and installed it.

The setup was pretty easy. It was an appliance, you just follow the bouncing ball, get it installed.

Because it helps me troubleshoot issues quickly, it saves a lot of time. If I didn't have it, it would probably take me a few days to troubleshoot the issues, versus a single pane telling me I've got an issue with this VM and pointing directly to what the problem is. It saves a lot of staff time.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to purchase the product because it definitely helps troubleshoot issues in probably one-tenth of the time that it would take without it. It's something I wouldn't live without, at this point.

More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.