VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Allows us to take over the DRS within vCenter and gives developers more insight into performance

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to monitor the performance of the virtual machines as opposed to monitoring the performance of the OS. We'll monitor OS and stop at the OS, whereas vROps will pick up what's going on underneath. If the datastore is having a problem, it will bubble up to the VM and show us that.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed me to give the developers insight into what's actually happening underneath the covers. They used to only be able to see their app and now, they can see underneath. We've also given them access to see into the OS and we've given them a full stack view of how their application is performing.

It has helped to reduce the time it takes to troubleshoot issues and has improves quality of service to our users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us is the one that allows us to take over the DRS within vCenter and does it more intelligently.

We have found it to be intuitive and user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I would like to go back in history on the performance data and blank out some of that performance data so that it isn't used in calculations. For instance, if an application goes wild and uses up all the resources, I don't want that to be understood as that VM needs more resources.

Stability is fine. The only issue I've had with it was an issue that I myself caused.

We're not big enough to warrant scalability.

Their technical support is good. They found the problem quickly. Support gets back to us quickly. When you raise a support call they don't get back to you with a candy email, they actually get back to you and help.

The initial setup was very easy.

We looked into a competitor but it was way too expensive. The fact that vROps came as part and parcel of the vRA enterprise gave us a huge win on the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution an eight.