VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

If there is an issue, I can show users exactly what's happening over time and at that moment

What is our primary use case?

We are using vROps for checking performance and trends in the future, so we can plan our departments correctly, and make the correct calculation for new hardware, etc., for the future. The solution is performing very well for us.

How has it helped my organization?

It's much easier to show problems to users. If someone comes and says, “My server is slow,” I can show them exactly what's happening with the server over time and at that exact moment as well. It's very good.

The solution has helped to reduce time to troubleshoot issues and has definitely helped improve the quality of service to users.

What is most valuable?

Performance monitoring.

What needs improvement?

The first impression is that it is not that easy to find everything. But after two or three times, you will find everything you like.

In vROps, I would like to have both automation and monitoring together, not two separate things you have to buy. I want them included in one package, one installation.

Also, there is a good page showing what happens, the performance over time. I would like to have that in a good report, to be able to print it out or to send as a PDF to customers. The page today is very good, but I would like to be able to send this report every week to customers.

The stability is very good. The only problem we have is monitoring of the disk space used by the program.

Scaling is easy.

I have not needed to use tech support. It has run smoothly for the last three years.

We didn't really have anything previously. The only things we had before were SCOM and the normal monitoring tool in vCenter. We needed something else that showed us everything in one picture, that showed what's happening to one server or a cluster, or whatever we needed to look at. We needed one good tool.

We went with vROps because of our good relations with VMware and good pricing.

For me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor are that the solution is

• easy to use
  • easy to integrate with VirtualCenter.

The initial setup was straightforward, very easy.

We bought it because we wanted to have good monitoring. The return on investment is fewer people calling us about performance issues.

On our shorlist, beside vROps, were vFoglight and one other that I don't remember.

What other advice do I have?

Look for ease of use. The first program you should have is one that you find easy to use. Today, vROps is easy to use. Back in the time, the first time we looked at it, it was fairly complicated to set up; the rules, etc. But today it's very easy.