VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

It's one of the easiest ways to obtain some insight into vCenter

What is our primary use case?

I use it for capacity planning and day-to-day metrics for how VMs are running. Most people think their application isn't running fast enough, so you need some numbers or pretty pictures to show them. vROps is a good place to obtain them.

How has it helped my organization?

1. You want to be able to plan. You want to budget going forward for what you have and put your hardware in before you can create VMs on it.
  2. It is not a technological thing. It's a people management thing. If you have some pictures, numbers, or something that you can show how things are performing, the management will want to see what they're getting for their buck overall. However, individual app owners and business units want to see how their machines are performing, and if they can do better.

What is most valuable?

The newer version is a lot easier to use than the older version. It's one of the easiest ways to obtain some insight into vCenter.

The latest incarnation of it is intuitive and user-friendly; the previous versions, not so much.

What needs improvement?

There are some nagging little things. For example, if you want to automate the resizing of machines, you should be able to schedule it, so it happens at two in the morning instead of right now, because if you do it in the middle of a workday that's a big no-no. Who wants to get up at two in the morning to press that button? Automation should be a bit more intuitive.

They got rid of the badges largely. That was good.

The customization of reports isn't as great as I would like to see it. There are some canned ones.

The other thing is there should be a way so a business unit can actually login to it. They should be able customize the view as a business unit or application owner better than they can today. vROps gives people too much information. It's creating headaches for management by answering too many questions. We need to give the people the the right amount of information. They should be able to look at their own applications and hardware. They would feel a lot more comfortable with VMware if they could do this, because it gives them a little bit of influence and control, even though we're the ones with the keys to the castle.

It seems to be pretty good.

We don't have that big of an environment that it's on right now. So, I wouldn't be able to talk too much about scalability.

They are pretty good. We used to buy VM, vCenter Support, and ESX Support from HPE, because they were a reseller of it. It wasn't so good.

So, when we did license renewals, we bought the support from VMware, and it was much better.

There are a lot of third-party monitoring and other tools that you can buy, but we decided to go with VMware's product in that it would be kept up-to-date together with vCenter and ESX, then everything should jive together a lot nicer.

The initial setup was straightforward.

There has been a bit of cost savings in that we could decide to move workloads around a bit better.

Though not so much for SevOne outages, but for the day-to-day, warnings, critical things, and alerts that come in, you will run out of disc in X amount of time. Therefore, this product is handy to have.

Bundle it in with your license rather than buying it as a separate product. It saves a lot of money that way.