VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Saves us significant time in terms of both coding and provisioning

How has it helped my organization?

It is faster than HPE Operations Orchestration. I also think that it is comparatively easier to program.

For us, it's predominately a back-end system so I don't expect to see that much in terms of cost savings, with respect to end-users. But I think that there will be a huge saving in terms of time. With HPEOO we're talking 45 minutes, at least, for provisioning of a VDI. For the VMware stack, with vRA and vRO, we've cut that down to about 12 minutes.

What is most valuable?

I definitely love the feature richness and the ability to cross over any platform that I need. Right now I'm working with a lot of other products. We're in the process of flushing out our old HPE system and moving everything over. A lot of the automation that we do, and emailing, sending out customer notices, we've been able to take that over from the HPE Operations Orchestration, and the old stack, and automate it into vRO very quickly.

It was user-friendly after training. There is a lot to it.

Also, integration seems to seamless, as far as I know.

What needs improvement?

I get in to code whatever I need and then get out. So perhaps they could support different coding languages. I know that JavaScript is their primary "cash cow" but I'd like to see c#, personally. I'd like to see different capabilities for adding code.

So far it hasn't failed us. Once in a great while it will crash, but it's just a restart of the system and it's good to go.

It seems to be as scalable as we need it to be.

Technical support is very good.

We chose to move from HPE to VMware because the HPE was end-of-life. We were looking for a new product that was easier to use.

Also, it is a matter of the length of time it takes to get done what you want to do within the product. In order to get down to where I'm able to actually code script into HPEOO takes well over 10 minutes, just to get to that point. The library within our Dev environment was just massive and crawled. Whenever it would try to do callbacks, with HPEOO, it would have to go back to the server. Callbacks took forever. It was clear that the solution just did not want to work the way that we needed it to work.

What other advice do I have?

After training, it is worth the effort.