VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Reduces our troubleshooting time and helps determine when to expand capacity

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring and maintenance of VMware environments.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides easier troubleshooting. Especially on the Horizon side of things, it helps us to troubleshoot if there are CPU issues or memory issues in the environment. It has resulted in shorter times for troubleshooting issues. It's easier to isolate an issue, especially things like bad neighbors. It helps me determine whether a host is having an issue. Suppose I'm troubleshooting a VM that's having an issue. I may actually find out that it's not that VM but it's a set of VMs that are encountering a bad-neighbor situation.

It also helps us determine whether or not we need to expand capacity, add more user licenses, etc. It helps us in capacity planning, in deciding when we need to introduce new hardware.

What is most valuable?

• Capacity planning
  • Project management
  • Troubleshooting

It gives us a pane of glass to troubleshoot all our VMware technologies in one place. Also, we haven't gotten into any of the automation yet, but a lot of the automation tools show promise of automating with vROps.

It's also user-friendly. It's a lot easier than the older versions. It has the multiple categories when you log in. It's a lot cleaner and easier to find solutions to what you're looking for.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in the cost features, and by that, I mean the chargeback functions, because my company won't go all the way into vRA for the automation piece. We're looking at different tools for automation. If they could find some way to incorporate that, it's the primary thing that I would look for right now.

Also, I would like to find a tool that is a single pane of glass for everything. The endpoint operations agent doesn't really do much when you install it on an endpoint - for example, on a Windows Server or a Linux server. You don't really get any beneficial information at the OS level from VMware tools. That's something that I would like to see.

The stability is good. There are some issues, at least from my end, when it runs out of space. I don't know that I necessarily get notifications. Some of it is that I don't check the Health tab as often as I should. But it has run out of space once or twice and shut off. When that happens I have to manually add space to it.

Scalability is relatively simple. You just spin up a new appliance and you either add it to an existing vROps manager or you can create a new environment. You can forward statistics. If I have multiple data centers, I can spin up remote nodes and send our information back to our primary one. So the scalability is good.

Technical support has been hit or miss. We're a BCS customer and it's a struggle at times. Sometimes it's difficult to get support on the phone, sometimes it's a lack of resources issue, sometimes they'll still send it to a tier-1 person when it's a tier-3 issue.

We've looked at other solutions but we stick with the vRealize Operations mainly for the usability and the integration with VMware.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10. What would make it a 10 are improved features for the endpoint operations agent and the ability to more easily monitor solutions other than just VMware. We have a mixed environment that includes VMware, some oVirt and KVM, and some other things. The main goal of our management is a single pane of glass, if possible, and that is something that I would like to see.