VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Helps us to optimize our environment, but finding the necessary metrics is complex

What is our primary use case?

We use it to help us optimize our environment and make better use of our resources.

How has it helped my organization?

We're new to it, so we're just learning the early steps of how to use the product and how to integrate it into what we do now.

What needs improvement?

I am here, at VMworld 2018, to learn about the new release, and I'm encouraged with what I'm seeing. Some of the stuff does make it a little easier on some of the other people who would be looking at it, such as managers. We will be able to build some dashboards that show them what they would like to see, that show the cost savings. We want to see the other stuff, where we're saving our resources more.

Trial/evaluations only.

So far, the scalability has been working out. There's a cost involved in scalability though because you have to purchase the license for each of your hosts to go with it. Then, depending on what we want to do from here, there are more costs involved. If we want to look at the vRA automating stuff, there's another cost involved with that product. So we're in something of an evaluation phase.

We haven't used much technical support yet. We've had a few problems, but I was able to overcome most of them myself, with the KB articles and the like.

We didn't have a previous solution. We purchased it when we got an Enterprise Agreement with VMware. We had to buy some more stuff and this is one of the things we bought.

The initial setup was fairly easy. It's an appliance, so you just build it up and then turn it on.

There is a learning curve because it's a complex program. There is a lot to consume in terms of the metrics inside of it. That's the biggest hurdle: trying to understand all the places to go look.

We do have a competing solution in now. We have Turbonomic. We're looking at it at the same time.

What other advice do I have?

Attend a training class first, before your boss hands it to you and says, "go."

We're new to it, so it's hard for me to rate it well at this time. In the early days, I'd say it's about a seven out of ten. I wouldn't give it anything higher than that until I get more time to play with the knobs and turn the switches and see how it works. It was easy to install, there's a lot of good documentation, and I'm finding a lot of good free training out there, since I'm constrained on purchasing training this year. This is my training budget for this year, the attending of the VMworld 2018 conference.

I love VMworld. I think it's very useful. That's why I'm here, to look at the vROps. I also came to talk to some experts about SQL questions I have, and some other clustering questions as we move forward with some projects. I have found the conference to be very useful this year.