VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Alerts us on VM performance, capacity utilization, before problems become bigger

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a monitoring tool for our environment, it alerts us on the VM performance, capacity utilization. We also use a bit of the trending tool that it has.

How has it helped my organization?

It automatically alerts us to issues so we can spend time on troubleshooting other things, or even in innovation. We're not having to dig as deep into the internal environment each day.

What is most valuable?

It's proactive and alerts us on things before they could potentially become a bigger problem. We don't have to be handling problems reactively. It lets us keep our eyes and ears on other things.

What needs improvement?

One of my biggest complaints is that I wish there was a better, consolidated dashboard on the landing page when you first log in. You have to fine tune it and customize it a bit more than I'd like. I don't know if it's hard for them to determine what people generally want to see on a home dashboard screen, but it could be improved.

It works.

I guess that the scalability is fine. We haven't run into any issues with it.

We have reached out to VMware tech support on particular issues with vROps. The support has been fine.

We had actually tried a few of the third-party VM monitoring solutions and we figured that since we already had the licensing and had paid for this product, we would start using it instead. We found that it actually accomplished what we needed out of a monitoring product.

We tried Veeam ONE and one other whose name I can't recall.

What other advice do I have?

Among the most important criteria when selecting a vendor is money, that is definitely a big factor; but also their dependability or their reputation. We need to know that the product is going to do what we're looking for it to do. We're a small shop, so we have a lot of work to go around. We want the product to do what they say it will do.