VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

We have been able to reclaim a significant number of CPUs and improve load balancing

Video:

What is our primary use case?

Optimization and reclamation.

How has it helped my organization?

It's been very successful. Before, we didn't know, as an organization, where some of the VMs or platforms were. Now, it's unified our organization to troubleshoot.

So far, since we upgraded the product, over the course of a quarter, I've reclaimed in our team, over 2,500 CPUs. That's a significant amount of CPUs, and we're still continuing. And using the DRS automation field and other features, we're seeing a lot of success as far as load-balancing, and we can also forecast some of the trends that we have in our organizations with the product.

Regarding the time to troubleshoot issues, on average, a NOC user or operations could spend at least 15 minutes just finding that VM or the issue. The solution is saving an average user, like myself as a consumer, about 40 percent. We have the issue, we have the problem. Before, we were spending an additional 40 percent just trying to find where the issue was.

As far as cost savings go, we're seeing significant growth as an organization, and we're also seeing the cost savings in the reclamation. Right now, we're being challenged regarding our growth, and we have to find capacity, and using the product sufficed a lot to not (have to) purchase other new products.

What is most valuable?

Gives a glass pane for our organization, it makes it very simple to give operations a simplified go-to product to find a VM, for example.

It's absolutely very intuitive. For example, we have a big environment. A simple case, for example, is, we get a request when there's an issue with a virtual machine, or the organization is (asking), "Where does that machine live? Does it live in which data center?" Now, they just plug it in on the search field and it gives them all the simple information: data center, the host, location.

What needs improvement?

One way the solution could be improved, in my opinion: management packs, more native management packs with API.

Compared to other versions, this version has by far, in my opinion, exceeded expectations.

Scalability is very simple and very efficient, as a product.

Technical support is always better every year, and so far it's actually all the new features that VMware has for technical support. One of the features is that it's very simple to just plug in your issue and you get a response. But I notice that the response time is more efficient than in previous years.

When I started at the organization, we had other, existing competitors, and we also had vROps, but it wasn't fully scaled-out for our organization. But I saw the value just based on my experience.

vROps was definitely on the top list, then we had VMTurbo (Turbonomic) and there's another product called Runecast. We have higher-tier products like Scalar but it's not really an operation type.

What other advice do I have?

Pick something very simple and very intuitive and very efficient for operations. As an engineer, just basically simplify. It's a simplified product and vROps is the product that I would highly suggest and recommend.

In terms of how the product itself has improved, the first one I've seen is the UI, the dashboard, and the intuitiveness of the product, how it works with the web browser, it's very efficient and fast. That's one of the improvements I've seen.

Right now, I strongly feel the product is a solid eight. I haven't got the exposure to the vROps products, I would give it a ten, but the way I feel right now once I feel that it's a solid ten I'll give it.

6.5 & 6.7
More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with SolarWinds Virtualization Manager
Learn what your peers think about VMware vRealize Operations (vROps). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,690 professionals have used our research since 2012.