VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

It has great charts and graphs which provide a high level overview of our environment

Video:

What is our primary use case?

I work in property and casualty insurance.

Our primary use case is to monitor our servers and infrastructure, provide alerting for any type of system issues that we have had, and give us real-time alerts to go into the system, troubleshoot, and deep dive into what the issue may be.

How has it helped my organization?

vROps has improved our organization by giving it that high level monitoring of the complete environment with the different plugins that it has. It is a single pane of glass to our environment to monitor everything.

The system has reduced the time to troubleshoot issues with the real-time alerting built-in. The alert comes through, we can click on the link, take us right to the alert, and it has the metrics that triggered the alert right in the message so we know right where to look to resolve the issue.

It has helped us improve our end users lives with our Horizon VDI monitoring. We can look at our Horizon environment, see our response times for our users, quickly drill into any latency issues, and proactively troubleshoot without the end user not even knowing.

What is most valuable?

Application monitoring: Checking to make sure the HTTP application is alive, if the Windows service is running. If it is not, then providing a real-time alert. It also provides the ability to resolve the alert on the fly.

We have a specific application that relies heavily on a Windows service. The product is not the greatest, so it is known to fail from time to time, where the Windows service will just stop running. When this happens, we receive an immediate notification that the service has stopped and our engineers can go in and analyze the issue taking care of the problem quickly.

The latest versions of the product has really changed the user interface, making it more user-friendly than it used to be.

It has great charts and graphs which provide a high level overview of our environment. Being able to click through those to deep dive, we can easily get to the information that we are looking for.

What needs improvement?

The biggest room for improvement would be the customizability of the alerting function. The emails that come through are somewhat difficult to tailor along with the information contained within them and how they are laid out.

The stability of the product has been great. It just runs. We don't have to worry about troubleshooting or monitoring product.

The scalability is great. We have never had any issues with it being unable to size properly in our environment.

You can quickly deploy extra collectors to the environment or your wide area network, if you have remote servers that you need to collect against.

We have not had to use vROps tech support at all. It is a set it and forget it application.

This is the first solution that we deployed for total enterprise monitoring. We went with vROps because we were heavily invested in the VMware architecture, so it made sense to go that route.

I was involved in the initial vROps setup. It is very straightforward virtual appliance deployment, configure it with the IP, and point it to your various ESXi hosts. It can get a bit complex when getting into the endpoint monitoring, but it is still not overly complex where it makes it difficult to deploy.

Another vendor on our shortlist was WhatsUp Gold.

What other advice do I have?

Try to stay with something that is going to monitor your entire environment. Don't go with one solution that will monitor your virtual infrastructure and another that will monitor the Window Servers or applications. Get that single pane of glass view so it has that entire overview of your environment in one spot.

I would rate the solution as an eight out of 10. It is a set it and forget it product. We are not constantly having to babysit or troubleshoot it. It does what it is designed to do, and it does a very good job of it.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: supportability. Everything is going to break sooner or later, and how they support or fix it says a lot about a company.

More VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) reviews from users