VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Allows me to see how my entire infrastructure is performing in a simplified manner

Video:

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this product is to essentially integrate third-party applications, as well as appliances, with the vRealize Operations for monitoring and capacity planning purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

A lot of benefits of this solution come to my mind. It allows me to see how my entire infrastructure is performing in a simplified manner. It also gives me a waterfall analysis and a lot of custom badges to tell me if there are any health, risk, or efficiency issues that I am running into. This helps me plan better for my IT infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The best feature that works in this solution is the ease of pluggability that is provides and analytics engine which runs behind the scenes.

The biggest way it is intuitive to the user is it allows you to create your custom dashboards. There are a number of widgets which are available to represent your data in the way you want, as well as in the priority you want to see them.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more applications and out-of-the-box solutions for well-known applications, like Oracle or Microsoft Exchange. Certain out-of-the-box solutions for these applications, as well as containers. If I had a container solution deployed on top of a VMware infrastructure, or outside as well, it would be really helpful.

I have been working with this product since version 5.6. The stability of this product has been good. Through 6.7, there have been multiple improvements in terms of its GUI and performance. By default, support clustered more of its operations to support the skill and all of that works just fine.

The scalability of solution is actually fantastic. It runs in a clustered node. On top of that, the collector modules which are the work horses of collecting all the data, they give me to scale at the collector module level as well. This caters well to a large scale environment.

They are really good, primarily, because they are well-versed with the product and all its new features. From the 5.x series into the 6.0 series, the product has undergone transformation. While we were working with the product for integration, the technical support provided by VMware was fantastic.

I have seen a lot of custom home grown solutions in the industry before people started integrating with VMware Operations.

I have been attending VMware events and part of the VMware club. Being part of VMware, I know about this product. That is where and how I started integrating with the product.

It's pretty straightforward. In the latest versions, after 6.4, the deployment has improved. It has simplified a lot. It gives me a programmable interface to automate my entire deployment. I can simply run a job and deploy the entire vRealize Operations solution quickly.

In terms of ROI, I have been working as a systems integrator. So, I am helping my customers when doing the integration. For multiple reasons, in terms of saving time and effort involved in identifying real issues and complex problems, that is the cost which has been saved. In terms of infrastructure monitoring, the returns are good.

The way it has helped improve troubleshooting helps me associate a lot of different infrastructure components, right up to the application layer. E.g., any issues coming in because an application is slowing down due to performance. Because of the hierarchy of all the objects labeled for that particular application, I can browse through the entire infrastructure and see where exact problem is. This helps me narrow down the surface area of the problem that I am trying to solve. That's a huge saving in terms of time required for resolving any particular issue.

It also provides me with a very intuitive way of understanding my capacity usage, whether I'm running out of capacity and how long before I would need to bump up my capacity based on my usage history. So, it's helped me do capacity planning in an intelligent manner.

What other advice do I have?

If you are running an infrastructure with a variety of components from various different vendors, and want to get monitoring all in one place, this is the solution to go with.

The important criteria when selecting a vendor for any solution:

1. How stable the product is.
  2. The ease of usage.
  3. Support's availability.

I would rate the solution somewhere between an eight and nine, because it has worked like a charm for me over the years.

It is a little bloated right now. I would like to see it broken out into microservices, so the overall footprint of the application is reduced. That would get it to a ten in my eyes.

1 Comment
Tushar TarkasConsultantTOP 20

My experience with VMware vROps product.

01 November 18