VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Gives us greater insight into capacity utilization, which helps us plan better

What is our primary use case?

We use it for monitoring and troubleshooting the performance and stability of our VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

If we get reports of applications that are running slowly, we are able to drill into the VM and all the statistics, and see where the bottlenecks are or what the issues are.

The solution has helped reduce the time to troubleshoot issues. It gives us greater insight into all capacity utilization, which helps us plan better.

What is most valuable?

For us, the most valuable feature is the insight into real-time performance.

What needs improvement?

At times we find the solution to be intuitive and user-friendly. It's getting better. Version 6 was terrible but 7 is a lot better. There is still room for improvement. It needs to be a bit more intuitive.

I would like to see more integration between vRealize Operations, Log Insight, and Network Insight. It would be nice if they worked a bit better together.

So far, stability is fine.

As for scalability, we've already added an extra node and it was a nice and simple, click, click, done. The scalability is good so far.

We have not had to use technical support yet.

We didn't have a solution that gave us in-depth performance stats or capacity planning in the VMware stack. We were a VMware customer, so it made sense to go with a VMware product. Compared to other products the feature set, use cases, and costs of vROps are fine. It's the integration points that led us to go with VMware, there's better, tighter integration using vROps.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took us half a day.

We used a consultant for the deployment. We used Assist Inc, and they were brilliant.

In terms of ROI, we're getting there. However, it's only been live for a couple months.

We've looked at other solutions before, but we've never found one that does what VROps does. We've looked at Veeam ONE and VMTurbo, but I don't think they're around anymore. That's part of the problem: There were vendors that did the monitoring and they've all crashed and burned. VROps wouldn't do that.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, do a hands-on lab. Get to grips with it before you deploy it.

I rate it at eight out of ten. It's a great product. It integrates well with the VMware stack. It covers all the VMware technologies. I just need it to be more intuitive, so that's why it's an eight and not a nine or a ten.