VMware vRealize Operations (vROps) Review

Effectively reduced our memory usage and identifies deep issues at high levels

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to troubleshoot workloads.

How has it helped my organization?

We have effectively reduced a lot of our memory and we love the Idle VMs. We can scale back the over-provisioning of systems based on actual facts and metrics. We've really been able to tidy up the over-provisioning.

What is most valuable?

The charts, form, and metrics that you can visually display out to other sites that IT can't, and the visibility are the features that we have found most valuable.

What needs improvement?

We do not find this solution to be user-friendly. There's still a lot of work that needs to be done and a lot of work has to go into getting the graphs right. It's not a "plug and play" type of thing. You really have to put in a lot of work. You always have to be aware of what's going on within the machines. It needs to be improved from end-to-end.

I would like to see more visibility into the machine's working and an easier way to find out what the workings are. There are agents but they're tricky. I would like to see something more agent-less.

I have rated this solution an eight because it's at an excellent level but it's still lacking on the end-to-end side. It has gotten better, visually, but it's still not quite there. It's clunky looking and they could have done a lot better with the interface.

There are problems with stability.

Scalability is getting better. It needs to be resized and it's not that easy.

I recently used technical support to do an upgrade. They did excellent work.

I have a contact at VMware who I spoke to about software issues and he pointed us to this solution. We used RVTools many years ago but we needed something more enterprise.

The initial setup was complex.

This solution is expensive. Businesses don't see the true value of it, whereas IT operations do, which makes it a hard sell.

What other advice do I have?

IT sees a lot of benefit from this solution, mainly regarding troubleshooting, identifying issues, and retrospective trouble-shooting. It offers a timeline in which you can go in and see how the machine was behaving. It identifies deep issues at high levels.

I would tell someone looking into this solution that you need high-level tools. You can't be relying on the free tools or on vCenter free questions. You need a step up to aggregate that information. I would look at all of the available solutions.