VMware vSAN Review

Excellent automated performance and agility; good integration with deployment tools

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for performance storage and management, we are a training center. I'm the information and communication technology trainer and we have a  partnership with VMware vSan.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution allows our technicians to deploy multiple lab environments for different classes at any time, without requiring any manual installation.

What is most valuable?

This solution has provided us with good performance, something we were looking for as well as integration with deployment tools. One of our main aims is to be able to deploy lab environments in an automated fashion and the product enables us to do that, providing more agility in regards to a virtual machine. We can respond to different needs, but every virtual machine will use the same storage.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see improvement in the troubleshooting tools, specifically the troubleshooting mechanism. We like the product, but once in a while there are problems that require us to reboot the host to fix things, and that creates an impact on production.

For additional features, I'd like to see a better monitoring tool.

I've been using this solution for 14 years.

It's pretty stable most of the time, but you need to make sure your hardware is supported and is compatible.

Scalability of the solution is easy, you simply have a new host and provide a few contributions and then compute. We only have a few people using this product.

We don't use the technical support, we troubleshoot problems ourselves.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your hardware is up to date and make sure you test beforehand. It's a good idea to try and combine the solution with some third party products, such as products for automation.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More VMware vSAN reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company