VMware vSAN Review

It gives us the ability to manage capacity and performance in a linear fashion, but management (dashboard, alerts, monitoring) needs improvement.

What is most valuable?

vMotion and the Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) load-balancing resources are the most valuable features.

How has it helped my organization?

We can manage capacity and performance in linear fashion.

We get better performance with a better cost efficiency.

What needs improvement?

The management of vSAN (dashboard, alerts, monitoring) has a significant amount of growth potential.

No issues encountered.

The stability is dependent on how we scale and stabilize I/O across the host(s). We have encountered issues, but have worked through them.

There are no issues because it is linear.

Prior to VSAN, we used SAN Storage, and we switched because we needed a more cost-effective solution for our cloud environment, coupled with easy scalability. Currently, SAN Storage has risks and bottlenecks, due to having only two storage processors which are not enough to handle our needs.

It was straightforward.

We implemented in-house.

• NetApp
  • Nutanix

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you size correctly when you do the initial implementation.

5.5
More VMware vSAN reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
511,521 professionals have used our research since 2012.