VMware vSAN Review

Even as we anticipate an increase in the number of users, it's allowed us to simplify our infrastructure, although it currently has no data deduplication feature.

Valuable Features

• Performance
  • High Availability

Improvements to My Organization

It's relatively low-cost for a high-performance solution. By using VSAN, we've been able to simplify our infrastructure considerably.

Room for Improvement

VSAN currently has no data deduplication, and having such a feature would both be an improvement and provide a feature that Nutanix has.

N/A

The stability is very good.

Having now deployed it, it's actually difficult to have any downtime or to even lose data.

Considering I've only done one VSAN cluster, I'd say that the scalability is good. We haven't yet tried to add more clusters.

Our company currently has 20,000 users and we expect further growth, so we'll likely have to scale down the road. That said, I don't anticipate really any issues with scalability at that point.

N/A

Tech support is very good as they're responsive.

We have the Technical Account Manager service, which is very helpful.

N/A

Setup was not complex at all, was very straightforward, and was easily implemented by everyone on the team.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with out in-house team.

Other Solutions Considered

We chose VSAN based on a POC. We looked at Nutanix, but VSAN was more robust for our needs and less expensive.

Other Advice

We normally use Gartner as a source, as well as some testing and a POC. The POC was the most important criteria, so my advice would be to do that before committing the resources.