VMware vSAN Review

It's fast, software designed storage that costs less than an all-flash array. We're expecting some improvements, but at the moment you have to store every object on multiple disks to protect it.

What is most valuable?

It's fast – it’s really blazing fast.

How has it helped my organization?

It saves us the expense of an all-flash array. All-flash would work for us, but VSAN is cheaper. I think that this solution is really new, but it has real benefits over all-flash arrays.

What needs improvement?

We are seeing some improvements coming up, but at the moment you have to store every object on multiple disks to protect it, and they should be better distributed over disks to help parity.

It's very stable – we have had no failures.

It’s really scalable in terms of both capacity and performance, at least for our needs.

We haven’t had to use it – the product is really stable.

We were using a traditional storage array from Dell and we will see more VSAN usage in the future.

The initial setup was a little bit complicated because we have to do everything from scratch. It’s a new world, and much easier in the newer releases.

We looked at other vendors – classic storage vendors – but we thought this direction was faster as things are moving towards a software designed storage.

What other advice do I have?

I think you should try it – its really stable and valuable and help to drill your costs down.