VMware vSAN Review

Storage is the most important element of our infrastructure, and this solution provides us stability and high performance. The supported-hardware list is too narrow, however.

What is most valuable?

• Integration with VMware vSphere
  • It’s simple to manage
  • It’s a relatively inexpensive for a SAN solution
  • Good performance based on testing

We just started implementation, so it's hard to give our perspective as we're still doing our evaluation. We purchased the product, and we have ten-fold service on it.

How has it helped my organization?

If it works out well, storage is our most important element of our infrastructure. We're looking for a stable and high performing solution and think this is it.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see support for iSCI. Right now it’s all internal protocols, and they promise it in the next version. They need to support more types of hardware – the list is too narrow.

It's stable, but it's really picky on the hardware. We knew that going in, but the scale was a surprise, not truly as agnostic as we thought it would be. They have a list, and if you deviate a bit, then it won’t support the environment. We had an issue where we deviated slightly, so we probably will have to follow their hardware compatibility list.

Very scalable, it's one of the reasons we bought it. They are in v2.0, and we feel like now it’s mature.

Support is generally good, but a little slow sometimes. You need to stick to their compatibility list if you want their full support.

We were using EMC and we knew we needed something new. Cost is important to look at, because we're nonprofit, as well as the integration with the other VMware products, and the stability of the product too.

Setup is very straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good solution – the trend is going towards converged infrastructure. It's all policy based – you can set general policy and then trust VSAN to do everything else.

More VMware vSAN reviews from users