VMware vSAN Review

As older ESXi hosts are phased out, you can replace them with vSAN and add more nodes, although it lacks deduplication features.

Valuable Features

The ability to scale out incrementally instead of doing a big five year capital expense purchase that hurts the budget. Vith vSAN, you buy x86 servers and you're done, and you can scale up.

Improvements to My Organization

The cost. VSAN allows us to do storage cheaper and better than before.

Room for Improvement

Deduplication feature is needed, and I'm thinking maybe it needs a lot of nodes to store all redundant data. This will be addressed in their next beta version.

Assuming we get policies set up where they need to be, it's a stable technology. It's distributed architecture is slick, and will hold up.

First and foremost, it offers a different way to scale, it’s smaller and easier to digest in smaller bites. As older ESXi hosts are phased out, you can replace with VSAN and add more nodes. Very incremental approach.

I've never had to use it.

Other Advice

It feels forward thinking and I can see this as big game changer, which is exciting, but it's only one-and-a-half-years old -- a toddler. There are some minor things wrong, but it's potential value could far overshadow it curent weaknesses, Currently we don’t have NSX, and that could be a pivotal thing, but we don’t have that licensing yet.