Vmware logo

VMware vSAN Review
Scalability and speed are the most valuable features.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features are scalability and speed.

The ability to throw in extra disks on the fly and extend storage with no limits is very useful. I already had to do this twice.

I think performance of my vSAN is better than that of a SAN, even though I am only working with 10 VMs per site. I don’t know how many performance hits we would get if I had more VMs.

Improvements to My Organization:

I am able to utilize ESX HW at my robo sites without needing to add a SAN or NAS.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to see the following:

• Fixing the resync function. This needs to be addressed ASAP.
  • A better UI showing actual space used and disk space available. The current output is very deceiving. It shows a total that should actually be divided in half, minus the headroom.

When disks are getting full or near 70%, there’s a potential for receiving out-of-sync nodes. One node may have more content than the other, and the re-sync button starts a process that never ends. This is a known issue.

When looking at space details, the available free space depicts the sum of the two nodes. In reality, that should only show half and even more. I would like to see a gauge that marks a safe zone, or under 70%.

The reality is that once you go over 70%, the sync issue comes into play, performance hits are unavoidable, and the rebuild could take a long time.

Use of Solution:

We have used this solution for over a year.

When dealing with seasoned vSAN experts, the experience was outstanding. Getting them to respond quickly is always an issue. I sometimes had to go ahead and perform a rebuild, as it was quicker than waiting for a callback.

Initial Setup:

The installation was easy.

Implementation Team:

I deployed it myself with trial and error support from VMware.

ROI:

The ROI is negative, the capex is OK, but the opex is outrageous. They need to drop the opex to 20%.

Other Advice:

See if you can really afford it and make sure you have the expertise on hand to deal with initial deployment issues.

I found that buying a new SAN by Tegile is less expensive, less complex, and very inexpensive to maintain. In addition, support is the best in the business.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About VMware vSAN?

Our experts can help. 218,995 professionals have used our research on 5,617 solutions.