VMware vSAN Review

With the snapshot feature, we are able to keep our system in a specific status. A "unified system" that can support block + file + object, would help users face hybrid cloud environments.

What is most valuable?

Snapshot: You know, that is amazing.

In our routine work, there is repeatable testing and validation. With the snapshot feature, we are able to keep our system in a specific status, including application parameters and network settings.

That has totally reduced our valuable time.

How has it helped my organization?

Currently, the work style of our organization has changed; when we get new projects, we can rapidly handle them.

What needs improvement?

If vSAN developed a "unified system" (that can support block + file + object), it would help users a lot in facing hybrid cloud environments.

I would prefer to use a complete and deep dashboard so I can give a supervisor a way to easily monitor the status of all drives and pool tiers. I think that would be a powerful feature for the future.

I have used it for two years.

Stability is great; however, you have to notify your counterparts if the system breaks down. :-D

Many popular SDS products can support up to 1000 nodes. This is an area where I hope vSAN is improved.

Hmmm, the level of technical support depends on the engineer who supports you when you contact the call center.

Traditional storage is scale-up type, which means there are a lot of supplier limitations and it costs too much.

Why not break though this situation? Now, flash is getting cheaper and bigger. With the changes mentioned, I think it will just stimulate SDS.

Initial setup was very simple for me. It is easy to set up if you get used to using vCenter.

SDS is going to be popular and common. If vSAN wants to remain #1 in the market, offering more discounts or something to attract customers is inevitable.

Currently, our environment is running VMware; therefore, we can consider using original distributed storage that connects directly to the kernel. That would reduce latency and data transfer loss.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use and rapidly build up.

6.2
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are an OEM partner.
More VMware vSAN reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with HPE SimpliVity
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.