VMware vSAN Review

Reduced rack space and power consumption. There's always room for improvement when it comes to monitoring performance.

How has it helped my organization?

We had several servers we used in our VMware cluster, as well as a storage device. The implementation of vSAN reduced the rack space, since we no longer required several slots in the cabinet to rack a storage device. vSAN also made it very easy for us to scale out. Power consumption was also reduced within our datacentre.

What is most valuable?

I like the scalability and the fact that it reduces your total cost for storage over several years.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I can think of at this time is to improve the performance monitoring and performance visibility within the GUI. They have already made several improvements in vSAN 6.2, but there's always room for improvement when it comes to monitoring performance.

We had no stability issues.

We had no scalability issues.

VMware technical support provides a great service.

We switched to move towards a software-defined datacentre.

It is very easy to configure and setup. vSAN is already part of vSphere ESXi. You simple need to apply a license and do minor configuration to get it to work.

The first 1-2 years of purchasing vSAN will be expensive. Thereafter, the longer you are running it, the more cost savings you will have.

We looked into several other products, such as Pure Storage and Dell solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Keep it simple, and don’t try and over-complicate things. Make sure to follow VMware best practices when it comes to implementing your vSAN solution. Read those whitepapers and make sure you understand how you want to implement it in your environment.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a VMware partner.
More VMware vSAN reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.