VMware vSAN Review

What is our primary use case?

We use vSAN because it's a VMware product which integrates with all the other virtualization, and it simplifies hyper-converged environments.

What needs improvement?

• I would like more integration with the hardware when it comes to disc types and supporting the newer types of storage.
  • I would like compression and deduplication to be offered for offloading hardware, instead of doing it with software. That would be nice.

Three to five years.

The latest version is very stable. It had a couple of hiccups in the earlier versions. The deployment and integration were simple, but we did have some bugs that we hit on, which have since been fixed.

Adding new nodes and expanding vSAN forward is simple and non-disruptive for a lot of our customers. It makes it simpler so we are not doing late night deployments, and we can answer the needs of the business immediately.

It is easy to find information out there, not only from searching the web, but even the times I have engaged VMware support. We were able to get an engineer within minutes of opening a case who understood vSAN, and they were able to help us out.

The initial setup for vSAN is simple. A couple clicks, we were up and running.

It does takes more time to rack it than to actually configure it.

What other advice do I have?

As far as a software-based, storage control product, it is great. They are staying ahead of a lot of the competition out there. vSan is what a lot of the competition is using.