VMware vSphere Review

Simple to use, offers a good user experience, and works well in mixed-OS environments

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and VMware vSphere is one of the products that I have experience with. This product is used as a virtual IT environment. It hosts applications such as SQL databases.

What is most valuable?

The GUI is very simple to use.

The user experience is good.

What needs improvement?

Stability-wise, there are some minor issues.

I have been working with VMware vSphere for between 10 and 15 years.

There are some issues with stability, although I don't think that it is a big problem. In general, it is a good product.

Scalability has not been a problem. Israel is a small country, so the level of service is less.

As a system integrator, I have not had to contact technical support.

I have experience with KVM and it is also easy to use, but it is not as good as VMware.

It is easy to deploy this solution from nothing.

We deploy and maintain this solution with our in-house team.

This is an expensive product and the price needs to be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

If you have a mixed environment that includes Windows, Linux, and other operating systems then this product is a good choice. However, if you have a purely Linux environment, such as Red Hat, then you can save money and have better performance by implementing KVM instead.

More VMware vSphere reviews from users
...who compared it with Hyper-V
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSphere. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarreviewer1275930 (IT Executive Leader / Innovator at a tech consulting company with 11-50 employees)
Top 5Consultant

As a leader of teams supporting the deployment and operation of VSphere, I'm always interested in how companies say this solution is too expensive.  I would advise those companies to take a hard look at what is the process of managing your IT Infrastructure environment (servers on-premise, remote and in cloud); have you identified how much in labor costs are incurred if little or no automation levels are being used. Understand what the business plans are over the next 2 - 3 years and make SURE IT can support those business plans with the people, processes and tools currently in use.  Then, compare that with the costs of designing, deploying and maintaining VSphere in your environment.  The costs may be closer than you think and the benefits are going to provide a more stable environment.