VMware vSphere Review

We were able to use ESXi to centralize the server farm. I recommend documenting everything.

What is most valuable?

• High Availability
  • Fault Tolerance
  • Live migration
  • Reduced the overall cost of the infrastructure
  • Centralizing the management.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to centralize the server farm, thus able to focus administrators on their immediate tasks, reduce response time to incidents, concentrate the informational flows, facilitate the task of data protection.

2 years.

The deployment was really easy, migration to the virtualization infrastructure was transparent to the main business.

None encountered for now.

No. If you would plan an infrastructure from the beginning, you would not encounter any issues.

We have never asked for any kind of customer service.

We have never needed any kind of technical support from the vendor.

No, but, in future, we plan to use a Microsoft Hyper-V.

Initial setup was quite straightforward.

The implementation was made by our own team.

Before choosing we didn't evaluate any other options. It was planned to use the VMware as the first queue and the MS Hyper-V as the second one. The reason is in the migration plan of the servers - in the second phase it would be the MS SQL server's, so the MS Hyper-V is more suitable.

What other advice do I have?

Always have a plan for the work document everything.

More VMware vSphere reviews from users
...who compared it with Hyper-V
2 Comments

author avatarMichael Perry
Top 20Real User

We have used MS-SQL server VM's for 4 years without incident. I HIGHLY recommend full flash SAN with 10 GbE ISCSI connectivity if speed is an issue.
Curious why you say the Hyper-V is more suitable?

author avatarit_user6699 (Technical Operations Engineer at a cloud provider with 51-200 employees)

I am curious about this too?
What makes yo say Hyper-V is more suitable for SQL servers? In my experience it is the exact opposite,
Do you have any research that points to this?