VMware vSphere Review

​It has helped organise computing into more logical groups, instead of random physical servers.

What is most valuable?

• Scalability
  • Flexibility
  • Vmotion across vCenters

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped organise computing into more logical groups, instead of random physical servers all over the place. It has also made the provision of new servers quicker and easier, allowed the space to build proper development infrastructure and also allows quick decommissioning.

What needs improvement?

The webclient could use more features and a cleaner layout.

I've been using the product for 2 years.

There were no issues with deployment. It was very smooth.

No issues encountered. It has really improved.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability. This is much better now.

No, I did evaluate Hyper-V and Xenserver, but stayed with VMware due to features, despite initial cost difference.

The setup was fairly straightforward. ESX is easy to configure and vCenter is intuitive on top.

We evaluated our current project vendor, but discovered we had more knowledge and accountability in-house.

As I previously mentioned, we evaluated Hyper-V and Xenserver, but we decided to stay with VMware as a result of the features offered.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend evaluating the features that match what you need before deciding. Use the 60 day trials to test.