VMware vSphere Review

With vMotion, High Availability, and Distributed Resource Scheduler, we're able to administer hardware resources in a better way. But, it could use better DRS-friendly functions.

Valuable Features

I'd say vMotion, High Availability, and Distributed Resource Scheduler, which have allowed us to administer hardware resources in a better way.

Improvements to My Organization

With High Availability, we have had only one incident where one of the hosts failed, and the VMs were moved immediately. It took about four minutes to complete migration, thus affecting operations minimally.

Room for Improvement

Reporting, and perhaps more DRS-friendly functions.

Use of Solution

We've used it for almost three-and-a-half years, and previously we were using older versions, such as 2.0.

No, but that is relative. Sometimes issues are raised eventually.

No, but it does become difficult to have a standardized infrastructure.

No, but I guess cost is the main obstacle.

So far, good service, but it's managed by our corporate office.

It's good, but it is relative. I have been able to resolve many of our issues using the web.

I used to manage an IBM solution - SAN with VMware technology.

It was complex, as the setup and management was not too friendly.

Implementation Team

We used a vendor team and the expertise was good, but it could have been better.

ROI

All I am able to say is that our SLAs have been achieved over the last two years.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

This depends on the particular scenarios. Ours is a big one, and requires full stability (Enterprise license). We manage four geographic areas (Mexico, China, Czech Republic and Brazil).

Other Advice

Review the SLAs with customers and provide several options describing cost/benefits to them.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
Sami VentrigliaIntegratorTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Fair review SysAdmin935, I feel like VMware has made slower/no progress on DRS as they are spending time and focus on NSX or vCloud Air. My gut tells me because it looks like 3rd parties are taking on the responsibilities that DRS provides, like VMTurbo or having similar functions built into the SAN on Tintri or something. I believe even on the app side, cloud providers like Amazon, Microsoft and even Oracle (the only ones I'm aware of) can provide elastic provisioning as well so that you are only paying for what your servers need for horsepower.
If ever any complaints on the vendor you choose to assist with installs and upgrades, ask for pro services references! If they can't/won't deliver, look for a new vendor and keep in mind that a quality engineer costs more but the work will be done faster with minimal interruption. Best of luck!

25 August 15
Thang Le Toan (Victory Lee)Real UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Perhaps what you say are in the old version, we switched to 5.5 and 6.0, the main problem encountered calculation for load balancing, and really should invest in SAN Storage Share, VSAN can stability control problem vMotion, HA because as you say "we have had only one incident where one of the hosts failed, and the VMs were moved immediately".

01 March 16