VMware vSphere Review

We can use all the resources available on the servers without losing CPU or memory resources.

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, many organizations had many physical servers, and with VMWare we can consolidate many servers without compromising on the performance. We can save a lot of space in the data center. It also helps us to save power that, at this time, is a very important factor. With VMWare, we can use all the resources available on the servers without losing CPU or memory resources, and we can centralize the space into just one storage space.

In many areas of IT, you can use VMWare solutions. Here we have many applications running on the VMware vSphere, such as Oracle Database, MySQL, SQL, web applications, Apache, and many more. For all solutions of course, it depends on how the applications work, but until to day, I haven't observed any applications that won't work inside the vSphere infrastructure.

I have been using it since v3.5, so more than eight years, I have experience with other VMWare solutions too.

No, I did not have any issues because it all depends on how the environment was configured.

Nothing too important yet. The new v6.0 improves upon many features in vSphere High Availability. The enhancements correct issues of recovery from storage issues with a new feature called Virtual Machine Component Protection. This feature corrects many problems that we had when the backup tool lost connection with the ESXi servers.

I haven't had any issues with customer service and most problems can be solved through their website.

I have not had any issues with technical support as they have solved any issues that I have had to contact them about.

We have other solutions in the environment such as Oracle Rac and Microsoft Hyper-V, but I believe that vSphere is the most reliable product on the market.

The initial setup wasn't complex because we have experience with other VMWare solutions.

I implemented ii in-house.

Our ROI is high because we have 800 virtual servers spread across 22 physical ones.

When compared to the impact that the product has had, I do not believe the cost to be too high.

I have tested other products such as Hyper-V and Zen, but I believe that vSphere is more stable and has many more features available.

What other advice do I have?

Go ahead and get it as this product is very, very stable.

More VMware vSphere reviews from users
...who compared it with Hyper-V
1 Comment

author avatarCloud Analyst & Sales Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees

"I think that the Fault Tolerance and High Availability features are the most valuable ones. Storage vMotion, Server vMotion, and all the flexibility that vSphere can provide to a storage environment without interruption is also very good."

This is partly true, but should realize that this is only part of the solution. You still have Network, IO (in general), power fault tolerance. Most other features are more for added resiliency (ie dedupe/caching/MPIO/Jumboframing etc etc)

Failover from the macro viewpoint....I would say it starts with IO and ends with data from an infrastructure point of view. From a necessity point of view, the most important does have to be data fault tolerance...without data...why would anyone need infrastructure..

Why do I say that vmotion/server vmotion are not as vital? If a node/hypervisor goes down..it's only one thing and there should be little to no downtime..BUT if IO has gone haywire everywhere, network fails or if power completely blows (both A & B goes down)...you lose EVERYTHING, unless you have offsite DR etc etc...There's a lot more downtime involved when the top of the tree goes down, which is where I would put most of my concentration on to make better.

"In the past, many organizations had many physical servers, and with VMWare we can consolidate many servers without compromising on the performance. We can save a lot of space in the data center. "

This is true, however, not everything needs to be virtualized. Virtualization is just a small feature that has taken large strides to handle most tasks and workloads. I've yet to see an established solutionf rom VMWare also including Baremetal + features useful to enhancing performance of physical boxes.