VMware vSphere Review

It's given us faster provisioning after consolidating all our physical machines onto it, especially with VMotion.

Valuable Features:

vSphere provides a lots of great features. In my opinion, VMotion is a feature that helps save time, cost, and effort.

You can arrange for system maintenance at any time you want without required downtime.

Improvements to My Organization:

We've used it to implement a virtual datacenter server for in-house applications and services and have achieved a green and efficient virtual datacenter.

After consolidating all the physical machines in our datacenter onto vSphere, we have also achieved faster server provisioning. With the help of templates, we have reduced the time from weeks to several minutes and, therefore, we can provide services for other departments nearly instantaneously.

Room for Improvement:

I think that all the improvements VMware could make would be related to monitoring. vSphere should be equipped with a better monitoring solution.

Use of Solution:

I have been using VMware products for 8 years.

Starting with testing software on a VMware Workstation box, and then virtualizing all IP services such as routing, DHCP, DNS, etc with an ESXi 4.1 host. And lately transformed almost services to VMware vSphere 5.0.

Deployment Issues:

As with any software, ESXi and vSphere have their own requirements, but if you meet the requirements for hardware, network, storage, etc., then deploying a vSphere system is just easy as pie.

Stability Issues:

It's efficient and very stable.

Scalability Issues:

VMware helps scaling with VMware vSphere is just easy by adding more ESXi hosts to an existing cluster, and then vSphere DRS will does the work for you like monitoring resources and spreading VMs to balance workloads on all the hosts between that cluster.

I have not made any calls during the time we have been running vSphere.

Previous Solutions:

I have used KVM and Microsoft Virtual Server before switching completely to VMware vSphere. With VMware vSphere, we have a good management tool, with easy provisioning, and easy troubleshooting.

Initial Setup:

It is a quite straightforward setup. It’s just a easy-to-follow wizard installer, and I don’t think that there is an easier way to do it.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Pricing and licensing models vary, and are dependent upon your organization requirements and operations. Always start with the minimal licensing model then, later, upgrade to meet your needs.

Other Solutions Considered:

Due to the simplicity of vSphere deployment, the ease of management, and the small footprint of its hypervisor, we decided to use it without wasting time on other products.

Other Advice:

We were seeking a green and an efficient solution for our datacenter. We found vSphere to be a great product and decided to become their customer.

When working with vSphere, I think you always have to take three things into consideration:

• Know your system requirements - are there any compatibility issues, or performance impacts etc.
  • Monitor the current physical infrastructure so you have a specific resource consumption, and can then develop the best investment plan
  • Make a transformation plan from the physical infrastructure to the virtualized one
1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Thang Le Toan (Victory Lee)Real UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Thanks Hieu,
I agreed with your opinion, but it is your own experience, the world very many enterprise organizations are using vSphere. They have many ideas coincide with your opinion. Let me emphasize more vMotion, EVC is also very important in moving automatic model format support early incident handling, due to the speed and processing time ns, ms of CPU and RAM isoforms.

25 August 15