VMware vSphere Review

With its High Availability feature, it's become a standard hypervisor with our customers, though the VDI could use improvement.

Valuable Features

• High Availability
  • Distributed Resource Scheduler
  • Site Recovery

Improvements to My Organization

It has allowed us to provide services to our customers more efficiently than ever. Combined with HP Cloudsystem Matrix, it has become standard with our customers.

Room for Improvement

• VDI
  • Backup solution

Use of Solution

I've been using it for the past nine years, since v2.5 was released.

Not really, just some tuning prior to release into production.

Not at all, this is by far one of the most reliable hypervisors to date.

ESXi allows us to grow dynamically and with minimum downtime.

9/10.

8/10.

I have used Hyper-V solutions that lack many high availability features, and the idea of being a Windows based hypervisor made them not so stable.

It was pretty much straightforward. It all depends on how deep you want to go with configuration.

Implementation Team

We implemented it for our customers.

ROI

From my position, it means lot less administration, and better ease of use. It also allows us to have fewer physical servers.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Some may say it's not cheap, compared to Microsoft or Citrix, but when you master the solution, you realize its features are unique.

Other Solutions Considered

We just looked at the different licensing options.

Other Advice

I would encourage you to try this solution not just for Labs, but for production and DRP solutions. I know there are many others out there, and some very good ones, but VMware has been evolving in the right direction, and it is still the benchmark for all the others.

1 visitor found this review helpful