VMware vSphere Review

Multiple VMs can run on a single host and have a single point of management.

Valuable Features

It's consolidated in that multiple VMs can run on a single host and have a single point of management.

Improvements to My Organization

• Application protection
  • Load balancing
  • Protection against network/host failure

Room for Improvement

5.1 SSO is a disaster, it was re-done for 5.5 and improved again for 6.0. VMware even recommend upgrading directly to 5.5 and skipping 5.1, and we are now planning to upgrade to v6.

Use of Solution

Personally since 2012, and in my current role only a few months.

There were no major issues.

Not really, as 5.1 has been out for a very long time, and any stability issues have been ironed out as with any product.

Upgrading from 5.1 to 5.5 is the biggest issue.

Very good and the communities help a lot too.

Very good and the communities help a lot too.

The solution in this company started on v4.1, and has moved to v5, and is currently on v5.1. This was to do with keeping with in support and being able to use new features.

With v5.1 you have to consider the various roles and how you wish to deploy them. SSO, Web, inventory, vCenter can all be installed together, separately, or any mix in between, and even physically if you wanted. I have inherited this design, and I would have done it differently, but as time passes, best practice is improved.

Implementation Team

All this was done in-house, with the help of specalist consultants, I have inherited this role and the environment is currently in flux

ROI

For the company very good, as they run loads of different applications at the same time

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

If you can go for enterprise plus, do so as you get access to the VDS and all the features it provides, esp LBT and NIOC.

Other Solutions Considered

Hyper-V is gaining traction but VMware is currently still the way to go.

Other Advice

Plan it properly and skip 5.1 if possible. I would avoid 6.0 until Update 1 is out, so any initial bugs can be ironed out.

1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

I agree that 5.1 is a mess and 5.5 is much better. Update 1 is out now for vSphere 6.0 which we are planning to migrate to now. The Web Client is much improved in this version and includes all Update Manager options now.

11 September 15