VMware vSphere Review

We needed to improve our response times for server deployment, SLA, testing, templates, and storage.

Valuable Features

• High Availability options
  • High server consolidation ratio
  • Space, noise and power consumption reduction
  • Easy to administer

Improvements to My Organization

• Response time to all areas of our company.
  • Server deployment, SLA, everything was accelerated rapidly.
  • Testing environment, templates, storage usage, all areas were enhanced.

Room for Improvement

• Server consolidation
  • Response time
  • Internal process management
  • Storage usage and performance

Use of Solution

Five years

We never found any issue during deployment of VMware vSphere. From version 5.0, 5.1 and now in 5.5 works everything fine.

The virtualization changed everything in our company, and is the way to lead from now.

We never found any issue of stability using VMware vSphere. From version 5.0, 5.1 and now in 5.5 works everything fine.

None.

VMware vSphere is a solution that offers excellent resources optimization and utilization. The solution himself improves the data center management and resources utilization is many ways.

We can't think our data center without virtualization.

Customer service from VMware was always excellent. Being a client of VMware, our company have the best response, even from our partners.

Never required technical support from VMware. As a VCP, I always solve the issues myself, but I know some examples from other companies and they are very happy about this.

No. The initial solution was VMware and we loved the product. There exists other solutions, but no one offers the level of trust and features that VMware offers, even open Source solutions like Xen.

No, anyway. From initial installation of ESXi servers to configuration in vCenter Server the installation process is very intuitive and easy (remember that I'm VCP).

Implementation Team

In-house.

ROI

Our ROI was 6-12 months. The budget required to mount our virtual infrastructure was high at first glance, but the ROI was more quick than expected.

We are very happy with this and consolidation that VMware offers.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Some licenses are expensive, mailny Enterprise Plus versions, but the features that this versions includes are impressive. Just make sure you get the right version for every business or needs.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluate other options, but VMware is centuries ahead other solutions of virtualization. Microsoft Hyper-V is the closest, but not reach the level of VMware. Open Source solutions was not considered at initial instance, they do not apply for a serious project of virtualization.

Other Advice

Evaluating migration to vSphere 6.0 in brief. I'm currently taking vSphere 6.0 courses and reading a lot, including writing a lot in my blog about this version. The improvements are really big and we wait more announces in VMware World 2015 very soon.

1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
Engineer at a tech services companyConsultantTOP 10

You mentioned templates and build times. You can use the Microsoft offline updater on Windows Templates as it can be mounted as an ISO. Finish the process with sysprep. If you do this monthly the patching after build is greatly reduced. The Offline updater will reboot multiple times run it until it has no more updates.

28 August 15
Thang Le Toan (Victory Lee)Real UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Thank you for the review have appreciated about VMware, it may result in something we do.
Currently we are using VMware vSphere 6.0, Horizon View 6.1.1, Application Volume, Horizon Mirage, Private Cloud for training "Nested Virtualization" and for Enterprise Design Build BIM 360 used vGPU, Rendering. ...
It is important that this system is very stable, resource saving, quick deployment time and technical team we can study on the resource independent. Every week we have the ideas and related products direct research on this infrastructure (it is different with Hyper-V, Virtual PC, Virtual Box, Citrix Xen quarterly or annual little research to find out is to use).

28 August 15
Hernán PaggiReal UserTOP 20

I am glad that the review has been helpful. Really once you start using VMware as virtualization platform and all its features are explored, it is impossible not to use this technology.

The characteristics associated with high availability, performance improvements and true storage virtualization and Virtual Volumes VSAN really shows why VMware is a leader in the sector. Furthermore, with the launch of new features to be announced next week at VMworld Las Vegas 2015 will extend even more advantage compared to other technologies.

As vExpert, my experience in the field of virtualization technologies showed me that as Xen, Citrix, Proxmox, to name a few, they are good and serve their purpose, but none offer the level of excellence of VMware.

29 August 15