VMware vSphere Review

Cross vCenter vMotion allows us to perform vMotion from one vCenter to another without the need for shared storage.

Valuable Features:

Cross vCenter vMotion is a valuable feature.

It allows you to perform vMotion from one vCenter to another vCenter without the need for shared storage, like a cut and paste.

This was not possible until version 6 and is built upon Enhanced vMotion.

It requires L2 network connectivity.

Improvements to My Organization:

Cross vCenter vMotion can be particularly useful if you have migration projects, or you simply want to shift workloads to different location.

It can be particularly useful if you have plans to move from a VCSA to a Windows Platform vCenter and vice-versa.

If you have shared resources with public/private cloud, you can move them by establishing several vCenters.

Room for Improvement:

One improvement could be to have the vMotion independent of the SSO Domain.

With Cross vCenter vMotion, it is a requirement to have both the source and the destination vCenter on the same SSO domain. It also requires version 6 and above. You cannot have this between a version 6 and 5.5.

I still experience lag with the web interface

1 Comment
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Having vMotion independent of SSO would be a great thing but more than like would take some code rewrite. Love that idea though. I see a bit of lag in the Web Interface but not nearly as much as previous versions. Not sure what web browser you are using but I find Opera works very well with the Web UI.

01 February 16