VMware vSphere Review

It allows a more efficient way to increase/decrease the server inventory.

Valuable Features

• vCenter
  • ESXi Host
  • Configuring
  • Management
  • Patch
  • Maintenance

Improvements to My Organization

It has reduced the space, and power utilization, as well as allowing a much more efficient way to increase/decrease the server inventory.

Room for Improvement

I think VMware should make it easier to manage different components (ESXi Hosts, vCenter, etc.) through firewalls. Some organizations have to separate the components with firewalls for security purposes, and VMware does not act well when hosts are separated from vCenter by firewalls.

Use of Solution

I've used it for two years.

Absolutely, numerous issues in particular HP ESXi VMware images that we utilized created a number of deployment issues. ESXi Hosts would lock up, network configs would malfunction and plenty more. We had issues deploying vCenter on windows 2012, and Windows 2012 r2, such as being unable to successfully integrate vCenter with Active Directory and plenty more.

Technical support was difficult to obtain at time because of the limited number of resources allocated to our program.

The previous solution were individual physical servers, which we replaced by utilizing VMware.

It was straightforward, and physical servers used to host web applications.

Implementation Team

We implemented it in-house.

Other Solutions Considered

No other options were looked at.