VMware vSphere Review

WAN management has some stability issues, but it has given us a substantial increase in server density.

Valuable Features

• Virtualization
  • Clustering
  • High Availability
  • All the core functionalities

Improvements to My Organization

Allows for substantial increase in server density, reduced spin up times, allows for more remote site management. Recoverability in a server crash situation is substantially improved as well.

Room for Improvement

User interface and management. The ability to manage the underlying infrastructure is very poorly thought out and implemented. They moved from a C client to a web interface, but still require critical functions to use the client.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for seven years, since it was ESX v3.5.

WAN management of sites has some intermittent stability issues.

I would rate it fairly high, as much as I complain about the changes their back end team make, their front end support, and sales guys are very communicative.

We used Microsoft Virtual Server before ESX3.5 was released. We switched because it was not an enterprise grade option.

The setup for the current datacenter was complex, not because of VMware but because of the hosting limitations provided.

Implementation Team

We had it initially set up by a vendor team, and I spent four months afterwards fixing their work. I would advise that you verify in advance the skills and knowledge of the implementors.

ROI

No attempt to calculate ROI has been made on the current environment.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I am attempting to build an environment around ROBO licensing, which I would advise anyone who has remote offices to investigate. It should cut our costs bytwo-thirds when I am finished.

Other Solutions Considered

No evaluation was done.

1 Comment
IT Director with 51-200 employeesReal UserPOPULAR

The Web Interface has been really improved in vSphere 6.0 and has become usable.

17 October 15