VMware vSphere Review

vMotion is a valuable feature and it's not hardware-dependent, but the web client could be better.

What is most valuable?

The vMotion feature.

How has it helped my organization?

Service up time has increased significantly. Having servers that are not hardware dependent has changed the way we offer solutions.

What needs improvement?

The vSphere Web Client could be better. The requirement for flash is what really kills it for me. Mobile access from iPads would be great too.

I've used it for three to six months.

No issues encountered.

I would rate customer service 5/10.

I would rate technical support 9/10.

No solution was used previously.

The initial setup was straightforward and easy to use. Installing ESXi is no different than any other Operating System and the vCSA deployment is just as simple as clicking next a few times.

We did it in-house.

We haven't calculated an ROI.

Every dollar spent on vSphere will repay itself in up time.

No other options were evaluated.

What other advice do I have?

Stop looking at others solutions and implement vSphere 6. It is hands down the most robust, scalable and easy to use virtual infrastructure out there today.

2 Comments
Chris ChilderhoseReal UserTOP REVIEWERELITE SQUAD

Even though the web client is flash based it is still much improved in Version 6 and I am using it more often. Have access from any other device would be a great idea, I agree.

28 October 15
Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

VMware has a virtual viewer, its been there for years.. it used to be an appliance now its an app on google \ iOS. I use it, so you have access.

29 October 15