VMware vSphere Review

With it, you don’t have to go with third-party solutions as long as you have people with the ability to script within your enterprise who can create tools and access APIs.

What is most valuable?

The command line power CLI module is a great feature, but the PowerShell module is my preferred management tool.

How has it helped my organization?

The automation that it provides is the best. Also cost savings, because you don’t have to go with third-party solutions as long as you have people with the ability to script within your enterprise. Then, you can create your own tools and access APIs very easily.

What needs improvement?

That’s a difficult question because there’s so many features that have been developed but not released yet. I would like to see more workshops with training opportunities at no cost to the customer. That would be very helpful.

Very stable.

We kind of just started off large, and kept getting larger.

It’s decent. Fairly responsive, not super great but adequate.

We were on Hyper-V, and it sucked. The manageability of vSphere far outperforms Windows Hyper-V, at least the 2008 version. VMWare is more stable, it clusters better, and is just better in general.

For me, it’s manageability. VMware offers so many different ways to manage their solution. You can use UNIX-like command-line interface to access the host, can use Pearl, you have a lot of different options at your disposal.

I don’t know.

We hired a consulting firm to come in and actually develop the environment when we moved from Hyper-V.

What other advice do I have?

There’s no better alternative. I would absolutely recommend vSphere. I do think that they’re the most expensive, but well worth the money.

I also think peer reviews would be an interesting way to research, as I haven’t ever encountered a site like IT Central Station before, but I can definitely see the value of moving forward with it.