VMware vSphere Review

We've been able to consolidate and distribute our infrastructure across multiple data centers. Its support for non-Windows platforms could be improved, though.

Valuable Features

Flexibility and inter-operability with other technologies are valuable features.

Improvements to My Organization

• Our ability to attain our 100% virtualization goal
  • Being able to consolidate and distribute our infrastructure across multiple data centers

Room for Improvement

One of the biggest thing is support for non-Windows platforms, especially virtualized desktops which is big across Department of Education. It's only just been released so it's one of their most immature offerings and has room to improve and grow. A lot of the recent improvements have been leaning towards small businesses but in government we don’t have those challenges.

I’ve been a VMWare customer for over a decade and we’ve experience more uptime when we were dependent on physical infrastructure.

Scalability is great – it allows us to be more resilient and more disaster resay organization. We can move workloads across the organization and keep uptime high.

Technical support has always been good – extremely responsive especially in the DC area. They are used across government and we are able to even get onsite support when we need it.

Initial setup was easy and any change we make to the environment has been easy. We have made changes to VMWare based on our discoveries. Government usage can be very different than private sector so were able to communicate different feedback from private sector clients.

Other Solutions Considered

VMware has been the hypervisor of choice for a while, now we are seeing off-premise cloud technology like AWS, Azure and others. VMware is trying to allow you to move workloads on premise and off premise to those kind of technologies.

Other Advice

Everything is going in the right track so I would ultimately recommend the product. Peer reviews are 10/10 – extremely important.