VMware vSphere Review

We can cluster storage and make it HA-aware, deploying it across our smaller remote offices without local IT staff.

What is most valuable?

• vMotion
  • DRS
  • DB switch

How has it helped my organization?

We’re able to leverage it for our main corporate IT infrastructure and deploying across nine smaller remote offices. We can cluster storage and make it HA-aware, and don’t need local IT staff at remote office.

What needs improvement?

For most part, pretty good, but UI could be improved. Has GUI geared towards Linux, would like to see GUI for Windows so that Windows admin can install.

Rock solid. Small issues where ESXi host re-booted, but probably related to internal configuration.

Can add multiple ESXi hosts and expand from there. We started with a minimum three node cluster with HP as backbone for storage for blueprint. We were able to move from a 1GBPS network 10 GBPS. We have now gotten up to 30-40 total nodes between all sites, but the main datacenter has 15-20 nodes.

We contact them once in a while, and have always had a good impression. Some colleagues though, have had issues however.

We were a Hyper-V shop but switched, because more robust. VMware is a gamechagner in virtualization.

It's a little bit complicated at the beginning because we did some of it on our own, and we could have engaged professional services to ease that pain. Some of the complications from a networking piece, which were a little confusing. Also confusing, was the difference between thick and thin provisioning. Logic says you should thin provision, but after taking the classes, we probably should have gone with thick provisioning.

The product is good, but the licensing gets confusing. As a technician, I don’t want to have to worry about the licensing side. If I purchase something, just tell me how many licenses I have left whenever I add a server, just something simple like that.